Supporting Older Youth: DHHS Regional Direct Workers Training Session
An interactive, one-day training to enhance the capacity of new and current case managers in creating and implementing transition plans that meet the unique needs of transition-age youth as they prepare for an interdependent adulthood after care. These seminars will:
• Employ local young adults with system experience as co-trainers.
• Adapt to the unique environment and needs of each region.
This training will utilize youth with current and former system-involvement, and other community partners to build direct caseworkers proficiency in working with older youth in the following ways.
• Increase understanding of the basic tenets of adolescent brain development.
• Develop knowledge and application of positive youth development philosophy in engaging with older youth.
• Increase understanding of appropriate intervention strategies for youth experiencing suicidal thoughts.
• Learn new tactics for promoting self-advocacy in young adult consumers.
• Apply gained knowledge to better engage young adults in their own transition planning.
FULL AGENDA (PDF) AVAILABLE BELOW.